Sunday, September 29, 2013

Being taken advantage of

 There is a time in all of our lives where we feel like we have been taken advantage of.  We feel as if we deserve more money, time, power, or love.  We have given so much of our lives that it is time that we deserve a life where we are given to.  We all have been there at one point or another.  But why?

We have learned to expect to be rewarded if we give in our life.  If I give up my time and learn what my teachers are teaching me I will be rewarded with good grades.  If I get good grades in school, I will be rewarded with a good job.  If I work hard at my job I will make a lot of money.  If I make a lot of money I will be able to buy everything that I need.  It is really an endless cycle that we are taught.  We are taught if I give then I shall receive.

What if we gave without expectations.  What if we gave our time, our money, our power, and our love to others without any expectations that we shall be rewarded with anything for doing this.  Seems so simple, but we all know this is a hard concept.  Let's try to manifest the shift towards this change today.

A lot of people bring up the fact that if you give without expectations there will be people that will try to take advantage of you.  There has been a lot of people that have come into my life, and taken advantage of me.  The honest truth though is I probably did have some expectations where that person should behave a certain way because I was giving something to them.  I had expectations.

I have come to be grateful that I am the person giving, and not the one taking advantage.  I realize that some people begin to have expectations that I am always supposed to give them something to them.  The truth is I can only give what I am able to give.  Eventually I will become drained.

If you give your entire life your soul will quickly dwindle and you will be left with an emptiness.  You need to find ways to refill yourself.  For me I find my heart refilling when I do activities like paint, yoga, snowboarding, or writing.  Things that I know are meant for me.  It is giving time to myself in order to give more time to others.  It is important to find the right balance of this while giving.  You also may need to ask others for help.  This is OK as long as you do not have expectations that they are ultimately the ones that will help refill this emptiness.  Ultimately it is you that needs to refill your own heart.

Do not surround yourself with the people that are taking advantage of you.  There are soul suckers that will drain you faster then they will help refuel yourself.  Surround yourself with good, loving, and giving people who love you for you.

You can always find a way to give.  You can always find a way to give without expectations.  And we can all find each other by giving to each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment